Authentique, Close To My Heart, CTMH, Distress Inks, Fiskars, Graphic 45, Memento Inks, Modge Podge, Peeled Paint, Stamp of the Month, Tea Dye, Teresa Collins, Tim Holtz, Vintage, Walnut Stain
Salutations one and all, today I will show you a mixed media technique that I used to make a vintage bookmark that was added to a birthday card for a gal that loves the colors gold and green, has a passion for books (not Kindles or Nooks) and all things vintage, so I came up with this.
- I created the tag using thin chipboard as my canvas.
- I then placed a Tim Holtz ‘burlap’ stencil over it. I taped it down with some microspore tape (it is more easily removed than Washi or painters tape).
- Next I applied Distress ink in Peeled Paint. I did this on both sides of the bookmark.
- Once the stencil was removed I then distressed both sides with Tea Dye Distress ink.
- In the next step I grabbed a paper cocktail napkin that has a vintage motif printed on it and tore around the edges to a size that fit on the front of the bookmark.
- I glued it down using Matte Modge Podge. Once dried, I added a top coat on the napkin, making sure to ‘seal’ the edges down and let dry completely.
- I added a chipboard bird to the top front corner of the bookmark.
- On the backside, I stamped the days of the week in a border using Fiskars – Teresa Collins Calendar stamp set. I used Memento Tuxedo Black ink.
- I then added word stickers from Authentique ( I am not sure what collection these were from, I have had them for a while). I used the words WHAT.A.LOVELY.WAY.TO.SPEND.A.DAY. I thought that sentiment was perfect for reading a good book. I distressed the edges of the word stickers with the Tea Dye ink and put them in place.
- I used Walnut Stain Distress ink to distress the edges of the entire bookmark.
- I then painted on a final coat of Matte Modge Podge to both sides of the bookmark (making that two coats total for the front). I set it aside to completely dry.
- I added a Graphic 45 key from their Staples. I attached it to a bit of white ribbon using Close To My Heart Extra Thick Twine in Flax. I just love the look of this twine. It is more like miniature rope.
The remainder of the card was made using CTMH New England Ivy textured cardstock. I cut it 9×7. I scored the long end at 1″ and 5″. I added a light green vellum pocket in the interior center, to hold the bookmark. I then added another vellum panel on the right side of the interior of the card and stamped a sentiment from the CTMH Your Own Kind of Wonderful stamp set. I used CTMH Topiary dye ink.
The belly band was made using American Crafts gold Washi tape wrapping a strip of cardstock. I stamped the typewriter and Happy Birthday XOXOXO which came from April’s Stamp of the Month Typed Note from CTMH. I used clear Distress Embossing ink and gold embossing powder. Finally, I fussy cut that out and added to belly band with 3D foam squares.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed today’s project. Please click on the left to follow our blog and Like us on Facebook, so you don’t miss a thing!