Salutations one and all, today I will show you a mixed media technique that I used to make a vintage bookmark that was added to a birthday card for a gal that loves the colors gold and green, has a passion for books (not Kindles or Nooks) and all things vintage, so I came up with this.
- I created the tag using thin chipboard as my canvas.
- I then placed a Tim Holtz ‘burlap’ stencil over it. I taped it down with some microspore tape (it is more easily removed than Washi or painters tape).
- Next I applied Distress ink in Peeled Paint. I did this on both sides of the bookmark.
- Once the stencil was removed I then distressed both sides with Tea Dye Distress ink.
- In the next step I grabbed a paper cocktail napkin that has a vintage motif printed on it and tore around the edges to a size that fit on the front of the bookmark.
- I glued it down using Matte Modge Podge. Once dried, I added a top coat on the napkin, making sure to ‘seal’ the edges down and let dry completely.
- I added a chipboard bird to the top front corner of the bookmark.
- On the backside, I stamped the days of the week in a border using Fiskars – Teresa Collins Calendar stamp set. I used Memento Tuxedo Black ink.
- I then added word stickers from Authentique ( I am not sure what collection these were from, I have had them for a while). I used the words WHAT.A.LOVELY.WAY.TO.SPEND.A.DAY. I thought that sentiment was perfect for reading a good book. I distressed the edges of the word stickers with the Tea Dye ink and put them in place.
- I used Walnut Stain Distress ink to distress the edges of the entire bookmark.
- I then painted on a final coat of Matte Modge Podge to both sides of the bookmark (making that two coats total for the front). I set it aside to completely dry.
- I added a Graphic 45 key from their Staples. I attached it to a bit of white ribbon using Close To My Heart Extra Thick Twine in Flax. I just love the look of this twine. It is more like miniature rope.
The remainder of the card was made using CTMH New England Ivy textured cardstock. I cut it 9×7. I scored the long end at 1″ and 5″. I added a light green vellum pocket in the interior center, to hold the bookmark. I then added another vellum panel on the right side of the interior of the card and stamped a sentiment from the CTMH Your Own Kind of Wonderful stamp set. I used CTMH Topiary dye ink.
The belly band was made using American Crafts gold Washi tape wrapping a strip of cardstock. I stamped the typewriter and Happy Birthday XOXOXO which came from April’s Stamp of the Month Typed Note from CTMH. I used clear Distress Embossing ink and gold embossing powder. Finally, I fussy cut that out and added to belly band with 3D foam squares.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed today’s project. Please click on the left to follow our blog and Like us on Facebook, so you don’t miss a thing!